The Tol2kit: A multisite gateway-based construction kit for Tol2 transposon transgenesis constructs
- Kwan, K.M., Fujimoto, E., Grabher, C., Mangum, B.D., Hardy, M.E., Campbell, D.S., Parant, J.M., Yost, H.J., Kanki, J.P., and Chien, C.B.
- Developmental dynamics : an official publication of the American Association of Anatomists 236(11): 3088-3099 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Campbell, Douglas, Chien, Chi-Bin, Grabher, Clemens, Hardy, Melissa, Kanki, John, Kwan, Kristen, Mangum, Ben, Parant, John, Yost, H. Joseph
- transposon, EGFP, mCherry, EMCV IRES, bicistronic, nuclear localization signal
- MeSH Terms
- Animals, Genetically Modified*
- Cloning, Molecular/methods*
- DNA Transposable Elements*
- DNA, Recombinant/genetics*
- Gene Transfer Techniques*
- Genetic Techniques
- Genetic Vectors
- Green Fluorescent Proteins/genetics
- Green Fluorescent Proteins/metabolism
- Recombination, Genetic
- 17937395 Full text @ Dev. Dyn.
Kwan, K.M., Fujimoto, E., Grabher, C., Mangum, B.D., Hardy, M.E., Campbell, D.S., Parant, J.M., Yost, H.J., Kanki, J.P., and Chien, C.B. (2007) The Tol2kit: A multisite gateway-based construction kit for Tol2 transposon transgenesis constructs. Developmental dynamics : an official publication of the American Association of Anatomists. 236(11):3088-3099.
Transgenesis is an important tool for assessing gene function. In zebrafish, transgenesis has suffered from three problems: the labor of building complex expression constructs using conventional subcloning; low transgenesis efficiency, leading to mosaicism in transient transgenics and infrequent germline incorporation; and difficulty in identifying germline integrations unless using a fluorescent marker transgene. The Tol2kit system uses site-specific recombination-based cloning (multisite Gateway technology) to allow quick, modular assembly of [promoter]-[coding sequence]-[3' tag] constructs in a Tol2 transposon backbone. It includes a destination vector with a cmlc2:EGFP (enhanced green fluorescent protein) transgenesis marker and a variety of widely useful entry clones, including hsp70 and beta-actin promoters; cytoplasmic, nuclear, and membrane-localized fluorescent proteins; and internal ribosome entry sequence-driven EGFP cassettes for bicistronic expression. The Tol2kit greatly facilitates zebrafish transgenesis, simplifies the sharing of clones, and enables large-scale projects testing the functions of libraries of regulatory or coding sequences.
Genes / Markers
Mutations / Transgenics
Human Disease / Model
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes