LSD1/KDM1A promotes hematopoietic commitment of hemangioblasts through downregulation of Etv2
- Takeuchi, M., Fuse, Y., Watanabe, M., Andrea, C.S., Takeuchi, M., Nakajima, H., Ohashi, K., Kaneko, H., Kobayashi-Osaki, M., Yamamoto, M., Kobayashi, M.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 112(45): 13922-7 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Andrea, Christina-Sylvia, Fuse, Yuji, Kaneko, Hiroshi, Kobayashi, Makoto, Nakajima, Hitomi, Ohashi, Ken, Takeuchi, Miki, Watanabe, Mana, Yamamoto, Masayuki
- Gata1, cell differentiation, gene regulation, histone demethylase, zebrafish
- MeSH Terms
- Cell Lineage
- Gene Knockdown Techniques
- Histone Demethylases/genetics
- Histone Demethylases/physiology*
- Molecular Sequence Data
- Zebrafish Proteins/genetics
- Zebrafish Proteins/physiology*
- 26512114 Full text @ Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
Takeuchi, M., Fuse, Y., Watanabe, M., Andrea, C.S., Takeuchi, M., Nakajima, H., Ohashi, K., Kaneko, H., Kobayashi-Osaki, M., Yamamoto, M., Kobayashi, M. (2015) LSD1/KDM1A promotes hematopoietic commitment of hemangioblasts through downregulation of Etv2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 112(45):13922-7.
The hemangioblast is a progenitor cell with the capacity to give rise to both hematopoietic and endothelial progenitors. Currently, the regulatory mechanisms underlying hemangioblast formation are being elucidated, whereas those controllers for the selection of hematopoietic or endothelial fates still remain a mystery. To answer these questions, we screened for zebrafish mutants that have defects in the hemangioblast expression of Gata1, which is never expressed in endothelial progenitors. One of the isolated mutants, it627, showed not only down-regulation of hematopoietic genes but also up-regulation of endothelial genes. We identified the gene responsible for the it627 mutant as the zebrafish homolog of Lys-specific demethylase 1 (LSD1/KDM1A). Surprisingly, the hematopoietic defects in lsd1(it627) embryos were rescued by the gene knockdown of the Ets variant 2 gene (etv2), an essential regulator for vasculogenesis. Our results suggest that the LSD1-dependent shutdown of Etv2 gene expression may be a significant event required for hemangioblasts to initiate hematopoietic differentiation.
Genes / Markers
Mutations / Transgenics
Human Disease / Model
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes