Zebrafish Anatomical Dictionary
Structure description: Preural Centra and Urostyle
by Paula Mabee and Nathan C. Bird
Name: Preural Centra and Urostyle
Abbreviation: pu1, pu2
Preural centrum 1: "Second last vertebra" by Ferreri et al. (2000)
Preural centrum 2: "Third last vertebra" by Ferreri et al. (2000)
Urostyle: the last (most posterior) vertebra
adult preural centra and urostyle
Preural 1 (pu1): This vertebra is anterior to the urostyle and is sometimes termed the "penultimate" vertebra.
Preural 2 (pu2): This vertebra is anterior to preural centrum 1 and is sometimes termed the "antepenultimate" vertebra.
Urostyle: This centrum may be formed via the fusion of the terminal centrum and half-centrum. It is sometimes termed the "ultimate" vertebra.
The presursors of preural centra 1 and 2 and the urostyle do not chondrify. Boundaries between centra develop after the fin supports have begun development. These centra ossify later in development.
- Human: none
- Mouse: none
- Chicken: none
- Frog: none
- Fly: none
- First appears at: develop as intramembranous ossifications (no cartilage precursors), but are visible as distinct centra by mid larval stage, 6.1 mm
- Disappears (or changes name)by: ossifies later in development, present in adult
Parents (forms from): sclerotome
- Presumptive (thought to give rise to): present in adult
- Anlage (known to give rise to): present in adult
Group (member of):
- Anatomical (group member): caudal fin skeleton
- Functional (group member): unspecified
- Other: Alcian Blue (cartilage) and Alizarin red (bone)
- Primary: Mabee, P.M. and Bird, N.C. (2001) A preliminary description of the anatomy and development of the zebrafish axial skeleton. ZFIN Direct Data Submission.
Ferreri et al., J. Fish Biol. 56:1115-1128 (2000)
Dingerkus and Uhler, Stain Technology 52: 229-232 (1977)
Potthoff, In Ontogeny and Systematics of Fishes, vol. 1 (ed. H. G. Moser) Spec. Pub. Am. Soc. Icthyol. Herp, (1984).