Aquaculture, husbandry, and shipping at the Zebrafish International Resource Center
- Varga, Z.M.
- Methods in cell biology 135: 509-34 (Chapter)
- Registered Authors
- Varga, Zoltan M.
- Artemia, Danio rerio, Facility, Feeding, Food, Method, Packaging, Paramecia, Protocol, Rearing, Shipment
- MeSH Terms
- Animal Husbandry/methods*
- Laboratory Animal Science/methods
- Larva/growth & development
- Zebrafish/growth & development*
- 27443942 Full text @ Meth. Cell. Biol.
Varga, Z.M. (2016) Aquaculture, husbandry, and shipping at the Zebrafish International Resource Center. Methods in cell biology. 135:509-34.
This chapter provides an overview of the Zebrafish International Resource Center (ZIRC) aquaculture systems, husbandry, and live fish shipping methods. The ZIRC has a recirculating water system with mechanical and biological filtration in its main fish facility, and a flow-through water system for its quarantine room. I describe basic husbandry methods for breeding, rearing larvae, feeding and shipping of fish. Whereas the procedures presented here are merely an overview and only the most essential methods are included, they offer starting points to set up, develop, refine, or troubleshoot methods in other fish facilities.
Genes / Markers
Mutations / Transgenics
Human Disease / Model
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes