Health monitoring and disease prevention at the Zebrafish International Resource Center
- Varga, Z.M., Murray, K.N.
- Methods in cell biology 135: 535-51 (Chapter)
- Registered Authors
- Murray, Katy, Varga, Zoltan M.
- Animal welfare, Aquarium, Aquatic, Colony management, Danio rerio, Facility, Feeding, Packaging, Rearing, Shipment, Water chemistry
- MeSH Terms
- Animal Husbandry/methods*
- Fish Diseases*
- Zebrafish/growth & development*
- 27443943 Full text @ Meth. Cell. Biol.
Varga, Z.M., Murray, K.N. (2016) Health monitoring and disease prevention at the Zebrafish International Resource Center. Methods in cell biology. 135:535-51.
In this chapter we review the components of the fish health program at the Zebrafish International Resource Center. We describe health-monitoring strategies to assess individual and colony health, practices to prevent the spread of pathogens within the fish colony, and a biosecurity program designed to prevent entry of new fish pathogens. While this program is designed for a facility on a recirculating water system with expectations of high volumes of import and export, many of the components can be directly applied or modified for application in facilities of different sizes and with other programmatic goals.
Genes / Markers
Mutations / Transgenics
Human Disease / Model
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes