Bleb Expansion in Migrating Cells Depends on Supply of Membrane from Cell Surface Invaginations
- Goudarzi, M., Tarbashevich, K., Mildner, K., Begemann, I., Garcia, J., Paksa, A., Reichman-Fried, M., Mahabaleshwar, H., Blaser, H., Hartwig, J., Zeuschner, D., Galic, M., Bagnat, M., Betz, T., Raz, E.
- Developmental Cell 43(5): 577-587.e5 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Bagnat, Michel, Blaser, Heiko, Hartwig, Johannes, Mahabaleshwar, Harsha, Raz, Erez, Reichman-Fried, Michal, Tarbashevich, Katsiyarina
- N-BAR, PGC, bleb, cell migration, membrane, primordial germ cells, zebrafish
- MeSH Terms
- Cell Membrane/metabolism*
- Cell Membrane Structures/metabolism
- Cell Movement/physiology*
- Cell Shape/physiology*
- Cell Surface Extensions/metabolism
- Germ Cells/cytology*
- Germ Cells/metabolism
- 29173819 Full text @ Dev. Cell
Goudarzi, M., Tarbashevich, K., Mildner, K., Begemann, I., Garcia, J., Paksa, A., Reichman-Fried, M., Mahabaleshwar, H., Blaser, H., Hartwig, J., Zeuschner, D., Galic, M., Bagnat, M., Betz, T., Raz, E. (2017) Bleb Expansion in Migrating Cells Depends on Supply of Membrane from Cell Surface Invaginations. Developmental Cell. 43(5):577-587.e5.
Cell migration is essential for morphogenesis, organ formation, and homeostasis, with relevance for clinical conditions. The migration of primordial germ cells (PGCs) is a useful model for studying this process in the context of the developing embryo. Zebrafish PGC migration depends on the formation of cellular protrusions in form of blebs, a type of protrusion found in various cell types. Here we report on the mechanisms allowing the inflation of the membrane during bleb formation. We show that the rapid expansion of the protrusion depends on membrane invaginations that are localized preferentially at the cell front. The formation of these invaginations requires the function of Cdc42, and their unfolding allows bleb inflation and dynamic cell-shape changes performed by migrating cells. Inhibiting the formation and release of the invaginations strongly interfered with bleb formation, cell motility, and the ability of the cells to reach their target.
Genes / Markers
Mutations / Transgenics
Human Disease / Model
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes