Stress-immune responses and DNA protection function of thioredoxin domain containing 12 in zebrafish (Danio rerio)
- Kulatunga, D.C.M., Dananjaya, S.H.S., Nikapitiya, C., Godahewa, G.I., Cho, J., Kim, C.H., Lee, J., De Zoysa, M.
- Fish & shellfish immunology 84: 1030-1040 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Kim, Cheol-Hee
- Antioxidant, Immune defense, Oxidative stress, Thioredoxin domain containing 12, Zebrafish (Danio rerio)
- MeSH Terms
- Amino Acid Sequence
- Base Sequence
- Edwardsiella tarda/physiology
- Enterobacteriaceae Infections/immunology
- Enterobacteriaceae Infections/veterinary
- Fish Diseases/immunology*
- Gene Expression Profiling/veterinary
- Gene Expression Regulation/immunology*
- Immunity, Innate/genetics*
- Sequence Alignment/veterinary
- Streptococcal Infections/immunology
- Streptococcal Infections/veterinary
- Streptococcus iniae/physiology
- 30359749 Full text @ Fish Shellfish Immunol.
Kulatunga, D.C.M., Dananjaya, S.H.S., Nikapitiya, C., Godahewa, G.I., Cho, J., Kim, C.H., Lee, J., De Zoysa, M. (2018) Stress-immune responses and DNA protection function of thioredoxin domain containing 12 in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish & shellfish immunology. 84:1030-1040.
Proteins with dithiol-disulfide oxidoreductase catalytic domain are well known for their capacity in the cellular redox homeostasis. In this study, we have characterized the zebrafish thioredoxin domain containing 12 (Zftxndc12) gene, analyzed the transcriptional responses and studied the functional properties of its recombinant protein. Full-length cDNA of Zftxndc12 consists 519 bp coding region encoding 172 amino acids (AA) including the signal peptide. Highly consensus active motif (65WCGAC69) and probable ER retrieval motif (169GDEL172) were identified. Ubiquitous expression of Zftxndc12 mRNA was observed from one cell to juvenile stage as well as different organs of adult zebrafish. Moreover, whole mount in situ hybridization (WISH) results showed a higher expression of Zftxndc12 in primordial gills, central nerves system and eye. The tissue specific expression analysis (by qRT-PCR) also showed the highest expression in gills followed by brain in adult zebrafish. In larvae, up-regulated Zftxndc12 mRNA expression upon exposure to H2O2,Edwardsiella tarda and Saprolegnia parasitica suggests that it may involve in both stress and immune responses. Moreover, transcriptional expression of Zftxndc12 was up-regulated upon Streptococcus iniae challenge in gills of adult zebrafish. The recombinant ZfTxndc12 (rZfTxndc12) was overexpressed, purified and tested for its biological activities. Results revealed that rZfTxndc12 is able to reduce the DNA damage and detoxify the H2O2 toxicity in concentration dependent manner. Overall results suggest that ZfTxndc12 is important antioxidant and immune functional member of host defense system in zebrafish.
Genes / Markers
Mutation and Transgenics
Human Disease / Model Data
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes
Errata and Notes