miRNA Nomenclature: A View Incorporating Genetic Origins, Biosynthetic Pathways, and Sequence Variants
- Desvignes, T., Batzel, P., Berezikov, E., Eilbeck, K., Eppig, J.T., McAndrews, M.S., Singer, A., Postlethwait, J.H.
- Trends in genetics : TIG 31: 613-26 (Review)
- Registered Authors
- Eppig, Janan, Postlethwait, John H., Singer, Amy
- isomiR, loop-origin miRNAs, miRNA cluster, miRNA-seq, moR, noncoding RNA
- MeSH Terms
- Biosynthetic Pathways/genetics*
- DEAD-box RNA Helicases/genetics
- DEAD-box RNA Helicases/metabolism
- Gene Expression Regulation
- Genetic Variation*
- RNA, Small Cytoplasmic/genetics
- RNA, Small Cytoplasmic/metabolism
- RNA, Small Interfering/genetics
- RNA, Small Interfering/metabolism
- Ribonuclease III/genetics
- Ribonuclease III/metabolism
- Sequence Analysis, RNA
- Terminology as Topic*
- 26453491 Full text @ Trends Genet.
Desvignes, T., Batzel, P., Berezikov, E., Eilbeck, K., Eppig, J.T., McAndrews, M.S., Singer, A., Postlethwait, J.H. (2015) miRNA Nomenclature: A View Incorporating Genetic Origins, Biosynthetic Pathways, and Sequence Variants. Trends in genetics : TIG. 31:613-26.
High-throughput sequencing of miRNAs has revealed the diversity and variability of mature and functional short noncoding RNAs, including their genomic origins, biogenesis pathways, sequence variability, and newly identified products such as miRNA-offset RNAs (moRs). Here we review known cases of alternative mature miRNA-like RNA fragments and propose a revised definition of miRNAs to encompass this diversity. We then review nomenclature guidelines for miRNAs and propose to extend nomenclature conventions to align with those for protein-coding genes established by international consortia. Finally, we suggest a system to encompass the full complexity of sequence variations (i.e., isomiRs) in the analysis of small RNA sequencing experiments.
Genes / Markers
Mutations / Transgenics
Human Disease / Model
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes