Stromal cell-derived factor-1 (SDF-1) and hematopoietic cell homing in an adult zebrafish model of hematopoietic cell transplant
- Glass, T.J., Lund, T.C., Patrinostro, X., Tolar, J., Bowman, T.V., Zon, L.I., and Blazar, B.R.
- Blood 118(3): 766-74 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Bowman, Teresa, Lund, Troy, Zon, Leonard I.
- MeSH Terms
- Age Factors
- Animals, Genetically Modified
- Bone Marrow/physiology
- Bone Marrow/radiation effects
- Cell Movement/physiology*
- Chemokine CXCL12/genetics*
- Chemokine CXCL12/metabolism
- Dose-Response Relationship, Radiation
- Gene Expression/physiology
- Gene Expression/radiation effects
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Mobilization/methods*
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation/methods*
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells/cytology
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells/physiology*
- Models, Animal
- 21622651 Full text @ Blood
Glass, T.J., Lund, T.C., Patrinostro, X., Tolar, J., Bowman, T.V., Zon, L.I., and Blazar, B.R. (2011) Stromal cell-derived factor-1 (SDF-1) and hematopoietic cell homing in an adult zebrafish model of hematopoietic cell transplant. Blood. 118(3):766-74.
In mammals, stromal cell-derived factor-1 (SDF-1) promotes hematopoietic cell mobilization and migration. Although the zebrafish, Danio rerio, is an emerging model for studying hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT), the role of SDF-1 in the adult zebrafish has yet to be determined. We sought to characterize sdf-1 expression and function in the adult zebrafish in the context of HCT. In-situ hybridization of adult zebrafish organs shows sdf-1 expression in kidney tubules, gills, and skin. Radiation upregulates sdf-1 expression in kidney; to nearly four fold after 40 Gy. Assays indicate that zebrafish hematopoietic cells migrate toward Sdf-1, with a migration ratio approaching 1.5 in vitro. A sdf-1a:DsRed2 transgenic zebrafish allows in vivo detection of sdf-1a expression in the adult zebrafish. Matings with transgenic reporters localized sdf-1a expression to the putative hematopoietic cell niche in proximal and distal renal tubules and collecting ducts. Importantly, transplant of hematopoietic cells into myelosuppressed recipients indicated migration of hematopoietic cells to sdf-1a expressing sites in the kidney and skin. We conclude that sdf-1 expression and function in the adult zebrafish has important similarities to mammals and this sdf-1 transgenic vertebrate will be useful in characterizing the hematopoietic cell niche and its interactions with hematopoietic cells.
Genes / Markers
Mutations / Transgenics
Human Disease / Model
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes