Characterisation of duplicate zinc finger like 2 erythroid precursor genes in zebrafish
- Hogan, B.M., Pase, L., Hall, N.E., and Lieschke, G.J.
- Development genes and evolution 216(9): 523-529 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Hogan, Ben M., Lieschke, Graham J., Pase, Luke
- Hematopoiesis, Erythrocyte, Zinc finger, Znfl2, Znfl2b, Zebrafish
- MeSH Terms
- Gene Duplication
- Gene Expression*
- RNA, Messenger/analysis
- RNA, Messenger/metabolism
- Transcription Factors/analysis
- Transcription Factors/genetics*
- Zebrafish/growth & development*
- Zebrafish Proteins/analysis
- Zebrafish Proteins/genetics*
- Zinc Fingers*
- 16532340 Full text @ Dev. Genes Evol.
Hogan, B.M., Pase, L., Hall, N.E., and Lieschke, G.J. (2006) Characterisation of duplicate zinc finger like 2 erythroid precursor genes in zebrafish. Development genes and evolution. 216(9):523-529.
In separate expression pattern and micro-array screens the zinc finger containing factor, znfl2, has been previously implicated in hematopoiesis. Here we analysed znfl2 expression in detail and performed genetic epistatic analysis in a series of hematopoietic mutants and transient gain-of-function models. znfl2 expression in the hematopoietic intermediate mesoderm and derived erythrocytes required early genes cloche and spadetail, but not gata1. Expression was up-regulated in scl gain-of-function embryos, identifying znfl2 as an early erythroid factor that is regulated upstream or independently of gata1. Furthermore, we identified a duplicate znfl2 gene in the genome (znfl2b) which was expressed in early mesendoderm and weakly in the lateral plate mesoderm, overlapping in expression with znfl2. The production of loss-of-function models for znfl2, znfl2b and znfl2/znfl2b together suggested that these erythrocyte specific zinc finger genes are dispensible for erythropoiesis.
Genes / Markers
Mutation and Transgenics
Human Disease / Model Data
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes
Errata and Notes