The 5' zebrafish scl promoter targets transcription to the brain, spinal cord, and hematopoietic and endothelial progenitors
- Jin, H., Xu, J., Qian, F., Du, L., Tan, C.Y., Lin, Z., Peng, J., and Wen, Z.
- Developmental dynamics : an official publication of the American Association of Anatomists 235(1): 60-67 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Peng, Jinrong, Wen, Zilong
- zebrafish, scl, hematopoiesis, promoter, transgenic fish
- MeSH Terms
- Animals, Genetically Modified
- Basic Helix-Loop-Helix Transcription Factors/biosynthesis
- Basic Helix-Loop-Helix Transcription Factors/genetics*
- Genes, Reporter
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells/metabolism*
- Promoter Regions, Genetic*
- Proto-Oncogene Proteins/biosynthesis
- Proto-Oncogene Proteins/genetics*
- Spinal Cord/embryology*
- Spinal Cord/metabolism
- Zebrafish Proteins/biosynthesis
- Zebrafish Proteins/genetics*
- 16258937 Full text @ Dev. Dyn.
Jin, H., Xu, J., Qian, F., Du, L., Tan, C.Y., Lin, Z., Peng, J., and Wen, Z. (2006) The 5' zebrafish scl promoter targets transcription to the brain, spinal cord, and hematopoietic and endothelial progenitors. Developmental dynamics : an official publication of the American Association of Anatomists. 235(1):60-67.
The stem cell leukemia (SCL) gene encodes a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor and is essential for embryonic angiogenesis, hematopoietic stem cell specification, and erythrocyte maturation. Here, we report the isolation and characterization of the zebrafish scl promoter. We show that a 5-kilobase (kb) genomic fragment immediately upstream of the translation start site is capable of targeting the enhanced green fluorescence protein (EGFP) expression to the anterior and posterior lateral mesoderm where the endogenous scl normally expresses. Detailed analysis of the stable transgenic fish reveals that this 5-kb upstream sequence is sufficient to direct the EGFP transcription to the brain, spinal cord, and hematopoietic-endothelial progenitors, possibly the hemangioblast, but not primitive erythrocyte, suggesting that the zebrafish scl transcription in hematopoietic-endothelial progenitors and erythrocyte is regulated by distinct cis element(s). Our study has defined the cis regulatory element(s) for zebrafish scl expression in the brain, spinal cord, and hematopoietic-endothelial progenitors and established a valuable transgenic line Tg(5'5kbscl:EGFP) for studying hematopoietic lineage development.
Genes / Markers
Mutation and Transgenics
Human Disease / Model Data
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes
Errata and Notes