Sequence and expression of zebrafish foxc1a and foxc1b, encoding conserved forkhead/winged helix transcription factors
- Topczewska, J.M., Topczewski, J., Solnica-Krezel, L., and Hogan, B.L.
- Mechanisms of Development 100(2): 343-347 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Solnica-Krezel, Lilianna, Topczewska, Jolanta, Topczewski, Jacek
- zebrafish; forkhead; focx1; paraxial mesoderm; somites; adaxial cells; cephalic mesoderm; segmentation; in situ hybridization; mutants
- MeSH Terms
- Amino Acid Sequence
- Cloning, Molecular
- Embryo, Nonmammalian/metabolism
- Forkhead Transcription Factors
- Gene Expression
- Gene Expression Regulation, Developmental*
- In Situ Hybridization
- Molecular Sequence Data
- RNA, Messenger/metabolism
- Sequence Homology, Amino Acid
- Time Factors
- Tissue Distribution
- Transcription Factors/biosynthesis*
- Transcription Factors/genetics*
- Transcription, Genetic
- Zebrafish Proteins*
- 11165495 Full text @ Mech. Dev.
Topczewska, J.M., Topczewski, J., Solnica-Krezel, L., and Hogan, B.L. (2001) Sequence and expression of zebrafish foxc1a and foxc1b, encoding conserved forkhead/winged helix transcription factors. Mechanisms of Development. 100(2):343-347.
Mouse Foxc1 (previously Mf1) is a member of the conserved forkhead/winged helix transcription factor gene family. It is expressed in many mesodermal tissues including paraxial mesoderm of the trunk and head, prechondrogenic mesenchyme, branchial arches and developing kidney. Homozygous mutants die perinatally with hydrocephalus and skeletal, cardiovascular, ocular and genitourinary defects. Here, we report the cloning and expression of two zebrafish foxc1 homologues, foxc1a and foxc1b. During gastrulation and somitogenesis both genes have similar expression patterns in the hypoblast, paraxial and presomitic mesoderm, somites and trunk adaxial cells. Expression in the somites is downregulated as they differentiate, but is maintained in the sclerotome. Later, some differences in expression pattern emerge. For example, only foxc1a transcripts are detected in the pronephros primodia and in the head mesoderm around the eyes, while only foxc1b is expressed in the pharyngeal arches and pectoral fins. Early expression of foxc1a in the paraxial mesoderm is modified in chordino, swirl, somitabun, and spadetail mutants.
Genes / Markers
Mutation and Transgenics
Human Disease / Model Data
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes
Errata and Notes