Conserved functions of ikaros in vertebrate lymphocyte development: genetic evidence for distinct larval and adult phases of T cell development and two lineages of B cells in zebrafish
- Schorpp, M., Bialecki, M., Diekhoff, D., Walderich, B., Odenthal, J., Maischein, H.M., Zapata, A.G., and Boehm, T.
- Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950) 177(4): 2463-2476 (Journal)
- Registered Authors
- Boehm, Tom, Maischein, Hans-Martin, Odenthal, Joerg, Schorpp, Michael, Walderich, Brigitte
- MeSH Terms
- Amino Acid Sequence
- Base Sequence
- Cell Differentiation/genetics*
- Cell Differentiation/immunology
- Cell Lineage/genetics*
- Cell Lineage/immunology
- Codon, Nonsense
- Conserved Sequence*
- Ikaros Transcription Factor/genetics
- Ikaros Transcription Factor/physiology*
- Molecular Sequence Data
- Receptors, CCR
- Receptors, Chemokine/genetics
- Zebrafish/growth & development*
- Zebrafish Proteins/genetics
- Zebrafish Proteins/physiology*
- 16888008 Full text @ J. Immunol.
Schorpp, M., Bialecki, M., Diekhoff, D., Walderich, B., Odenthal, J., Maischein, H.M., Zapata, A.G., and Boehm, T. (2006) Conserved functions of ikaros in vertebrate lymphocyte development: genetic evidence for distinct larval and adult phases of T cell development and two lineages of B cells in zebrafish. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 177(4):2463-2476.
Zebrafish has been advocated as an alternative animal model to study lymphocyte development, although the similarities in the genetic requirements of lymphopoiesis between fish and mammals have not yet been investigated. In this study, we examine the role of the transcription factor Ikaros in zebrafish lymphopoiesis. In fish larvae homozygous for an ikaros allele predicted to lack the C-terminal zinc fingers, T lymphopoiesis is absent; the presence of V(H)DmuJmu rearrangements in adolescent fish is delayed in mutants. In adolescent mutant fish, T cells expressing tcrb and tcrd and B cells expressing igm are formed with low efficiency and display an oligoclonal Ag receptor repertoire. By contrast, B cells expressing the igz isotype do not develop, providing genetic evidence for two separate B cell lineages in zebrafish. Thus, Ikaros appears to play similar roles in fish and mammalian lymphopoiesis.
Genes / Markers
Mutation and Transgenics
Human Disease / Model Data
Sequence Targeting Reagents
Engineered Foreign Genes
Errata and Notes